5.29.2006

NAMING YOUR INSTRUMENTS

Occasionally, people ask me whether I think it would be OK for them to give their guitar, piano, drum kit, etc., a name. If it was good enough for BB King, then it should be good enough for the rest of us, right?

Wrong.

A good friend of mine, who was an exceptional guitarist, decided to call his guitar 'Fido'.

Not long after he named the instrument, he began to expect that it would take itself out of its case and make its way across the room into his hands... ("Here, Fido...")

He started dragging it to the park by its lead.

He emptied cans of Chum onto it twice daily in case it was hungry.

Pretty soon, it was unplayable. He hasn't picked up a guitar since.

Let this be a warning to you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I named my instrument once, but my wife chose a different name - what the hell, as long as its getting used ;)

10:32 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

testimonial:

i used the hognogger method of permanent boredom relief and i said 'goodbye' to boredom for the rest of my life (even though it isn't over yet). true, i have to put my finger in the hole in my head when it rains to keep the water from getting in but hey, it's a small price to pay for eternal peace of mind. J.Howard, canberra

2:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home